Monday, June 9, 2014

DOSSIER REUSE?!?!?!?!?!

Our 6 month post-placement visit is quickly arriving.  It absolutely amazes me that we have come so far in such a short amount of time.  My children are little sponges and they are soaking in the language, foods, family life, and experiences.  I look back at the travel piece in awe--who in their right mind would travel halfway around the world to meet two little people alone?  So much could have gone wrong, and yet it all went perfectly.  Arriving home was by far the hardest piece of it all.  Jet lag, the lack of sleep, and the amount of work it takes to just get through the day-to-day stuff is enough to push one over the edge.  Add work into the mix and and a couple of kids that need some serious bonding time along with 4 other kids that still need lots of nurturing and are trying to redefine their roles in the family--well let's just say it was a wild ride. And yet...I feel as though we have turned a corner.  Things are far from perfect, but we have our routine down and it is difficult to imagine our family looking any differently.  It feels pretty normal actually--until I take the kids out in public and the stares and comments start--and I realize that our family is hardly normal.  Normal is overrated, anyway.  The other day at The Bronx Zoo we most certainly were on display.  Thank you, beautiful Chinese mommy that was so obviously snapping pictures of me wearing Jacob on my back.  You forgot to turn the sound off on your phone as you took the pictures--and I hope you were just appreciating his smile that lights up his whole face.  It's cool.

My agency typically requires 6 months to begin another adoption post-adoption/birth/big family change. If a family decides to adopt so soon after a recent adoption, they may reuse their dossier.  I know--if you are not an adoptive family you probably have no idea what I am even talking about.  A dossier is a collection of documents required to have notarized,  sealed at the state level, and sent to the Chinese Consulate prior to sending off to China. Documents include employment letters, birth certificates, marriage license, financial status forms, physical forms, non-criminal record, homestudy, and USCIS clearance.  Maybe more?  Shoot I don't even remember.  I completed my dossier over a year ago.  If we reuse, we can save money, time, and a whole-lotta-energy on prepping those documents.

I was thinking we wouldn't bother reusing since we tentatively discussed starting another adoption after taxes are done next spring.  Unexpectedly, my husband said we need to talk.  Well that's never good but I was pleasantly surprised.  He wanted details about how to go about reusing and thought that maybe we should start sooner than later.  As he was talking I quickly opened up the listing of our agency's waiting children.  Isn't it great that the password can be saved right on my phone and I could pull it up in the middle of our conversation?

So for now--a reuse may be on the table. Stay tuned...



Like what you read?

Click below!


Please click! A visit a day boosts my blog ranking at Top Mommy Blogs - The Best Mommy Blog Directory Ever!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for clarifying some of the adoption process because I'm very clueless of the subject.

    But I'm happy your family is giving children in need a great life! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really great information.. i had no idea how it all worked.. It is a blessing that these kids get adopted to a great home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's quite a process! But a wonderful thing to bring children into a loving home :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're giving them a warm home! Hope those papers can be sorted :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that a dossier for adoption even existed, and that you had a time period before you could or could not reuse it. That's very interesting, though. I remember one time I was in Hawaii, and these tourists were running after this really tall, model-like girl wearing a very skimpy dress, who was walking down the street. I could not believe how bold they were - to be running and giggling after someone, and snapping pictures in such an obvious manner. What you said just reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations for the first adoption! It's a wonderful thing to do for a child and good luck with the another one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! How exciting that you may get another so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. quiet an information. this is my first time to read o the process of adoption. Good luck and I hope you get the kind of baby you deserve with your generous heart

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is pretty exciting for your family!!! I hope the whole process goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how cool, hope everything goes well. can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete